Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Window Wells Using Landscape Timbers

If you've ever priced window wells, you understand why we went with Landscape Timbers.  For the not so pretty metal jobbers, they are priced over $200 each.  If you want anything pre-made that is fancier than that you can expect to pay around $400 each.  We considered our options and decided the most cost-effective with consideration for the installation time, we chose landscape timbers.

For each Window Well, we used approximately 14 timbers @ $2.97/each (now on sale for $1.97/each...I will be going back for my discount).  So being the Mathematicer (play Webkinz..it is a word) that I am, that comes to about $42 per window well.  Add landscape fabric, screws, adhesive, and caulk and the price is still WAY lower than the pre-made metal thingy dings.

Now with that being said, I design...my husband builds.  Here's how he did with a little help from our Husmann friends:

Photobucket

Now, the above may not be the preferred order or you may be thinking I put the pictures out of order. But, no, that is the order things were done. And here is how it ended up:

Photobucket

Isn't it beautiful? The support board will come out once all of the landscaping is done around it.

Here's how the second one started, notice any difference in method?

Photobucket

Yes, he started IN the hole to eliminate having to use the Bobcat to lower it in.

And finally, the third Window Well which I absolutely love!

Photobucket

Look at the built-in "herb" box!!

Photobucket

From the inside:

Photobucket

I felt so loved when I came home to see the added feature of the herb box in this window well. I know I mentioned to him that some people have done that, but I didn't know he was planning to do it. So sweet!

2 comments:

  1. Those look great! Way better than metal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a great time!

    I love the herb box idea. What are you going to plant?

    ReplyDelete