Monday, July 18, 2011

DIY T-Shirt Extender Tutorial

Photobucket

So I've been seeing reviews on the Blush T-shirt Extenders EVERYwhere. I haven't been able to get them out of my mind, soooooo it was time to put my sewing machine to work and recycle some t-shirts in my drawer that have seen better days....been the star of many plays...not really...that's song lyrics.

What is a t-shirt extender?
It is a little something you wear under your shirt to give the APPEARANCE of an extra t-shirt peaking out underneath.
Why a t-shirt extender? 
  • Add a t-shirt without adding extra layers
  • Wear shorter shirts modestly
  • Extend the life of a shrunk t-shirt by wearing it with an extender
  • For gals that are as endowed as I am in the top area of my body...shirts lose length because of it and this is just the answer!

Anyway, being the thrifty, frugal, wife of Mr. Spends-A-Lot, I'm always looking for ways to hold onto our budget. I will admit when I saw the t-shirt extenders are available in Target stores, I did search for them with full intention of buying myself a set. Too the joy of my wallet, our local Target does not carry them.

So began my determination to recreate the t-shirt extender. Here's how I did it and here's how you can do it too!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now here's how you determine the next measurement:
FIRST:  Decide how you will wear your extender: At the waist, right below the bust-line, or somewhere in between. Mine will vary depending on the outfit, so I decided to go with a below the bust-line so I have more options.
SECOND:  Measure how far down you would like your t-shirt extender to extend from the placement you decided on. I chose for mine to fall right where my hip and leg meet.
 THIRD:  Add to the above measurement the width of your elastic plus 1/4 to 1/2 inch for seam allowance. My measurement was 9 inches from below bustline to hip/leg connection + 2 inches for elastic and seam allowance=11 inches.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now it is time to create a waistband. I realize there are a ton of ways to do this, this is how I did it:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And now for my modeling debut: YIKES!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Did you see my Anthropologie Inspired Necklace? I combined tutorials from How Joyful and Little Birdie Secrets for my own rendition.





Shirt: Old Navy $4.97 Clearance
T-Shirt Extender: $0.25 for the elastic at a yard sale
Shorts: Old Navy $1.00 Thrifted


NOTE:  Since I posted this in July, I have had almost 400 visitors stop by and take a look.  If you found this tutorial useful, please comment below....I love to hear from my visitors!!


Linking up at:





Tip Junkie handmade projects





Creative Itch















Somewhat Simple






18 comments:

  1. Enter me in, I think this is an awesome idea!

    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Enter me in the give away as well!! Tshirt extenders look great. I want one!!

    Buda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your neclace turnned out super cute, I love it!
    Thanks for following me.
    Jessica
    http://thatgivesmeanidea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made one too after deciding that I didn't need to shell out $ for something so simple:) Great minds think alike:) -Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is darling! I love your how necklace turned out . . . and I love the T-shirt extender idea!! :) Brilliant! I am bookmarking this for later! Thanks for inviting us over to your blog- I am now your newest follower!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your t-shirt extender post! I have a similar problem with shirts being too short and this is a great solution (other than wearing a second shirt underneath! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is a link to one of my favorite recent posts on a DIY Carseat cover for babies! http://momommamoney.blogspot.com/2011/07/sewing-diy-car-seat-cover-canopy.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your newest GFC follower :) Come follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome idea, I will def make some! I didnt want to buy the store bought ones because I wasnt sure of the fit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! what a great idea.. thanks a lots, now ai know what to do with my old fit t shirt :)

    mizz bananaz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for helping me save some money!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! I think the store bought ones are too tight, this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great minds think alike. I also had this idea, I wondered who else thought of this? You thought of it more than an a year earlier than me. ;) Your t shirt extender looks great. warm wishes from Wisconsin, Debby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trendy Womens Tops So I've been seeing reviews on the Blush T-shirt Extenders EVERYwhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this tutorial Stacy, I am on the lookout for some of these tips since many of my shirts are somehow have been shrinking in the wash LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made one of these just yesterday but I made it with an old half slip and cut it just shorter than the hem of my two knit tunics I like to wear over leggings. No more knit clingy and I feel more comfy in my leggings knowing the tunics will stay where I want in the DOWN position!I have the bottom section with lace left and will use this as my short shirt extender... I just have to finish that sections by adding a casing and elastic band :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think stumble in this post is like miracle cause people around me think im weird for having this kind of idea, so i bury it deep inside my little brain. Now i have the courage to make one after saw you really rock it, awesome, really, love it to the max ❤

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete