Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Twelve Years of Homeschooling

You've been homeschooling for 12 years????? Why yes, I have.

You see I have a 12 year old and one of the things I read early on convinced me I could indeed homeschool my children. The book (not sure which one) spurred this conversation with myself:

Who taught your children how to walk and talk? Well, my husband and I did, of course.

Who taught them how to use the potty? Ummm, yeah that was us.

Animals Sounds, Colors, Shapes? Yep, us again.

How are those ABC's coming? Done.

Do you know how to read? Quite well, thank you.

Do you know basic math? Most days.

And the most important question of them all:
Do you know how to learn something if you want to learn it? Oh, do I!

TaDa! You are qualified to teach your own children.

What!?! What about Algebra and Physics????

Well, come to find out....the resources for anything and everything I would ever want my children to learn are ENDless. They can learn Algebra on a computer, with a textbook, at the school with a live teacher, through a DVD, through an online resource, or a combination of everything!

But then there is the AGE OLD question,

Aren't you worried about socializing?

As a matter of fact, I am. Another great reason to school my kids at home where we can openly talk about sex, drugs, and rock and roll in an appropriate conversation. We can teach them how to interact with ALL ages not just their own class. They learn that adults are not the enemy, but a resource for a wealth of information.

I could go on a few days here and also address the skeptics who think we shelter our kids. Although I'm not completely against sheltering kids from some crazy stuff out in the world, my kids are exposed (in a controlled and open conversation environment) to everything from premarital sex, homosexuality, drug and alcohol addiction, victims of sexual abuse, and homelessness to aging and elderly, mental illness, struggles of third world countries, and issues of ethnicity. And boy do we have some doozies for conversation!!

Anyway...that was a bit of a tangent.

So here we are with a 12 year old and a 9 year old a bit proud to say we've taught them just about everything they know. That is, with A LOT of help from grandparents and great-grandparents, museum tour guides, Youtube, and a variety of other resources!

Any other long-time homeschoolers out there?

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Going on 6 years here. Taught them everything they know. Some good things and some behaviors are just mere reflections of my imperfections and sinful self. Thank God for His grace!

    I find the stereotype of "all home schooled children are just mindless genus's that can't communicate with anyone," rather amusing yet disheartening. Who in there right mind would think putting a bunch of vipers in diapers in a room together would ever teach them to get along with each other? Have they watched children at play? There has to be outside instruction and guidance. A question we all much ask is do we pay someone to teach values and set boundaries that we don't agree with only to spend hours at home, after school, un-teaching what has been learned? All in the name of convenience and supposed socialization?

    Good post Stacy! Good things to think on!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention you have raised a Nerf war pro who apparently can write one good essay.

    ReplyDelete